How the main accused in Junaid Khan lynching case was arrested

Police claimed that the “poor quality” of the footage led to the delays in investigation in the Junaid Khan lynching case

It was a blurry CCTV footage that led to the arrest of the main accused in the lynching of 15-year-old Junaid Khan. The main accused, 30-year-old Naresh Kumar, was arrested from Maharashtra. He was produced in a Faridabad court and was remanded to police custody for two days.

As per a report in the Indian Express, the CCTV footage shows three men fleeing on a motorcycle, after the train came to a halt at Asaoti railway station. The quality of the footage is believed to be such that it is impossible to discern faces. Police claimed that the “poor quality” of the footage had led to the delays in the investigation. Superintendent of Police, Haryana Railway Police, Kamal Deep Goyal said: “In the CCTV footage, the man at the tail end of the motorcycle is Kumar. We are still conducting investigations to ascertain the role of the other two men in the incident.”

Also Read: Lynching cases not just in Narendra Modi’s rule. Twitter user digs out UPA record

Police are hoping to procure the murder weapon and also find important leads on the other people involved in the crime till the time Kumar is custody. Kumar is a resident of Bhamrola village in Palwal and used to work as a security guard in Delhi. As per the police, Kumar took the local train daily to travel to and from work.

The police also said that the accused refused the request for a Test Identification Parade (TIP). An application for a three-day police remand had also been submitted. Police are hoping that they will be able to find the bloodstained clothes from the accused’s village, along with the knife that was used in the crime from Jatola village, where some of his relatives stay.

Also Read: As thousands join ‘not in my name’ protest, 4 including Delhi govt employee arrested in Junaid lynching case

For interesting news videos from InUth, follow us on