World Environment Day is probably another thing Donald J Trump does not believe in. If climate change is a Chinese hoax, surely a day spent in talking about how to save nature from the toxic clutches of mankind is slotted in a similar category. Celebrated on June 5 every year as a reminder to us of just how much we are indebted to nature for our existence, recent times have turned the day into just another hashtag for most.
The theme of this year’s World Environment Day to reconnect people with nature. The host country of 2017, Canada, chose the theme to persuade people to go beyond their air conditioned walls, into the wild. To breathe in the clean air, and to appreciate once again, just why taking care of nature is so important.
To convince you to save yourself from becoming The Jetsons in very near future, and in keeping with the theme, we bring you 10 photos so beautiful, they will maybe coax you into planting a tree today.
1) Because without trees, Silent Valley National Park in Palakkad, Kerala, would have been just another housing project:
— Kerala Tourism Guide (@tourism_kerala) September 19, 2015
2) Also, without trees, the famous Kerala backwaters would probably just look like.. land:
— India Tourism (@india_tourism) February 14, 2017
3) Lodi Garden, Delhi, would otherwise just be a bunch of monuments on barren land. #NoPreWeddingShootsThen
— Shiv Bhasin (@shivbhasin2) May 6, 2015
4) Because without the flora, this would just be a sunset:
— Tea Tokri (@TeaTokri) April 30, 2017
5) Because some say the future generation deserves oxygen too:
— Nilanjan Ray (@nilanjanray) November 23, 2016
6) Because without trees, they would be homeless:
— Abhishek Chinnappa (@abhichinnappa) July 29, 2015
7) Because this photo minus the trees is definitely what hell looks like:
— Arati Kumar-Rao (@AratiKumarRao) April 21, 2017
8) And because everyone deserves to wake up to a view like that at least once in their lifetime.
I could get used to waking up to a view like that. pic.twitter.com/nNGsldiYSK
— Trinaa Prasad (@trinaaprasad) July 23, 2016
We have already reached a point of no return as far as climate change and global warming is concerned. Must we really push for apocalypse, though? Plant a tree today, or at least this month. Because your Fixed Deposit won’t be able to save you if we run out of oxygen.