Bollywood is known for cliched genres like romantic and comedy films. Majority of the films that are being churned out of the industry fall under these categories. However, of late, coming of age films have now become the norm in Bollywood. With each passing film comes a learning. Whether it was the nondescript Mera Pehla Pehla Pyaar that explores the first experience of love in someone’s life or the adorable Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na that tackles the complicated relationship between friends, these films have given enough material to the youth to resonate with.
Here are 10 films that every teenager should watch
- Dil Chahta Hai (2001): The stellar coming of age story of 3 friends who move through the roller coaster of relationships is a true representation of friendship as we know it.
- Mera Pehla Pehla Pyaar (2007): This film sealed the deal for high-school romances with its rawness and freshness.
- Dil Dosti Etc. (2007): A lot of people wrote this film off but this film was successful in capturing the journey of young adults from rebellion to morals.
- Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na (2008): Even though the film is your usual boy-girl story, this film scored high on the friendship element as a gang of friends discover the importance of choices after college.
- Rock On (2008): This was a cult film that is solely made for musicians and people who are passionate for music. Farhan Akhtar and Arjun Rampal beautifully set forth the struggle of a musician’s mind.
- Wake Up Sid (2009): A rich spoilt brat learns to cope with the harsh realities of life. Ranbir Kapoor and Konkana Sen Sharma nailed this very real rendition of a teenager trying his hand at adulting.
- Tere Sang (2009): A 15-year-old girl falls in love and ends up getting pregnant. Running away from their family’s opposition the young couple decides to elope.
- Always Kabhi Kabhi (2011): Four students from school come together in tough times and realize the gravity of parental expectations.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011): This is perhaps the epitome of friendship and adventure. 3 friends, Arjun, Kabir and Imran (Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol and Farhan Akhtar) take a trip to Spain where they mend old grudges and learn to accept their fears.
10. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani: The iconic movie that will make you yearn to travel more and chase your dreams.
Which of these films are you going to watch this weekend?
For more interesting content, visit YouTube.com/InUthdotcom