We are all fond of reality TV shows they give us a sense of real-time that other TV soaps fail to bring to us. The reality shows from the 90s and the early 2000s set a very different benchmark than the ones we see now, however. From ‘getting inspired’ by formats to selling dreams to the common people, these reality shows did more than just offer content, they were hope for millions of people to appear on television or win a chance to earn some big bucks. These reality shows created a chasm for the average Indian to reach out into the space where celebrities dwelled. Whether it was the suspense of what stood behind a locked door in Khulja Sim Sim or the forced values of Kahi Naa Kahi Koi Hai trying to make you meet the perfect match with the sealed approval of the parents, these reality shows were quite the rage and created a fad of their own.
Here are 7 such shows that should never have hit the Television screen:
1. Kamzor Kadi Kaun: Or the official remake of the superhit Britain show The Weakest Link. Kamzor Kadi Kaun received flak for Neena Gupta’s hosting skills that apparently invited a lot of hate mail. She WAS supposed to be cold and somewhat rude, y’all. Stop hating.
2. Raaz Pichle Janam Ka: This show had Ravi Kisen as host and was based on based on past life regression. It had people going in a seance and recalling repressed emotions and incidents from their past lives. The show would fictionalize the so-called day dreams and was a hilarious drama to watch on the now discontinued channel, NDTV Imagine.
3. Kya Aap Paanchvi Paas Se Tez Hai? : This show had youngsters being tested for their ‘genius’ in the Indian remake of the American television show, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader. It was also the show that proved that even Shah Rukh Khan cannot ‘sell everything’ as was famously quoted.
4. Jeeto Chappar Phadke: Hosted by Govinda, this was a reality show based on ‘luck’. Govinda would stand and narrate a story and people had to guess which contestant was he referring to. I mean seriously, what convoluted sh** are you selling, how is anyone supposed to guess the traits of someone’s personality by merely sitting across from them.
5. Khulja Sim Sim: Copied from the US show Let’s Make a Deal, this show had everything we wanted to cringe about. The host, Aman Verma, would randomly select contestants from the audience who try their luck to win surprises behind closed doors. This show was short of becoming a thriller with the forced long drum-rolls and belligerent use of suspense.
6. Sach Ka Samna: Rajeev Khandelwal hosted this TV show which was a lift-off of The Moment of Truth. The show had people hooked up to a polygraph machine, recording the answers to nearly 50 questions. The show came replete with melodrama and sentimental quotient that flew through the roof.
7. Kahi Naa Kahi Koi Hai: This show had all the right values and morals required to function in the Indian society with the theme being – wait for it – marriage. Of course, it was the ideal show for the susheel parivaar at dinner time, with none other than Madhuri Dixit making matches on Indian television. I mean, c’ mon! Can we not instill sanskaar for one moment please? Gagging much?
Which of these shows made you hate Indian television the most?
For more interesting content, visit YouTube.com/InUthdotcom