Just two days ahead of the first phase of assembly election in Uttar Pradesh, the Congress party on February 8 released its manifesto for in which they promised jobs to 50 lakh youth and promoting entrepreneurship among youth, particularly the minorities.
Congress General Secretary in charge of Uttar Pradesh Ghulam Nabi Azad, UP Congress chief Raj Babbar, Salman Khurshid and other senior leaders released the manifesto in Lucknow on Wednesday at the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee Headquarters.
Besides jobs to youth, the party in its manifesto also promised loan waivers for farmers and cheaper electricity.
The party is fighting elections on 105 seats in an alliance with Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party in the 403 seat Assembly election.
Uttar Pradesh is all set to witness a seven-phase election, starting on 11 February. The counting for all seats in the state will take place on March 8.
Here are some highlights of the party’s manifesto:
1. The party promised the welfare scheme that proposes to waive off loans of debt ridden farmers and reducing the price of electricity for farmers and artisans by half.
2. The party proposes changes in police preparedness and response measures
3. The party has proposed 50 percent reservation for women in Panchayat elections.
4. The party has also proposed a new Uttar Pradesh Skills and Employment Mission for skilling youths and ensuring jobs for 50 lakh youths. A separate cell looking after job creation is proposed to be created within the Chief Minister’s office.
5. For incentives to minorities, the party proposes a scheme to encourage young entrepreneurs to start their businesses but as a vague promise fails to give any details of the scheme.