Dieting coupled with rigorous exercise is one of the most popular methods used for losing weight. Needless to say that it can be a bit tricky, especially when delicious treats like chole bhature, rajma rice, and gulab jamun tempt us to forgo our strong resolve at every step of the way. While some of us are strong enough to resist the temptation, others just cave in after a long hard fight to a bowl of mint ice cream or a pot of steaming hot biryani.
Remember Tanmay Bhat of the AIB fame? He is one of the most popular celebrities who dramatically reduced a whopping 109 Kgs by using the magical Keto diet. His transformation is a journey that will inspire you to take up life goals and shape up your life. For those of you who don’t know, Tanmay followed a low carb diet with ample protein and high-fat food reducing his calorie content every week. He coupled it with a workout regimen to get effective results.
Keto diet or the ketogenic diet offers a friendly yet plausible alternative to the extreme diet plans that often leave our taste buds craving for something more (don’t tell me you aren’t tempted to try that double cheese burger that your colleague just ordered!).
What is Keto diet?
Keto diet is a low carbohydrate diet, wherein the body burns fats rather than carbohydrates. In case of a keto diet, the body enters a metabolic state called ketosis, in which your body uses a compound called ketone for providing energy for various activities instead. For reference, in the normal metabolic state, our body uses carbohydrates to produce glucose and insulin which are then used to provide energy and transport it to the various parts of the body via the bloodstream.
What are the benefits of a keto diet?
Keto diet is not the typical balanced diet that you have studied about till now. It contains everything from whipped cream and mayonnaise to cheese and tuna salad, which is divided on the basis of portions that are to be taken at specific time intervals (which means no torturing the taste buds).
Here are some of the most prominent health benefits of a keto diet:
– Weight loss: This diet uses your body fat to provide you energy and since there is a limited intake of carbs, your body turns into a fat burning machine.
– Controls epilepsy: Before being used as an effective weight loss measure, keto diet has long been used for treating epilepsy.
– Reduces your appetite: Studies show that eating a diet low in carbs and high in fats and proteins naturally cuts the appetite.
– Reduces blood sugar level: Studies show that keto diet is more effective in preventing diabetes and managing blood sugar levels. It also prevents the body from developing insulin resistance.
– Increases good cholesterol: Keto diet improves triglyceride levels in the body and reduces bad cholesterol.
What to eat and what not to eat on a keto diet?
Like every dieting plan, keto diet too has its dos and don’ts. While Keto diet gives you the liberty to eat something delicious, there are some food items that you just cannot have. Here’s what you need to know.
What you can eat:
Non-veg food: fish, eggs, lamb
Vegetables: spinach, lettuce, cauliflower
Dairy products: cheese, high fat cream, butter
Nuts: walnuts, sunflower seeds
What you can’t eat:
Grains: wheat, corn, rice
Fruits: apple, bananas, oranges
Vegetables: potato, sweet potato
For interesting entertainment and lifestyle videos from InUth, follow us on Youtube.com/InUthdotcom