Barely three months ago, a 30-year-old man in Delhi burned a hole in his stomach after consuming a cocktail laced with liquid nitrogen. This month, a similar incident happened to another 30-year-old, however, this time the man was from Pune. He was rushed to hospital for immediate life-saving surgery.
According to a Hindustan Times report, a hospital conducted a life saving procedure on the young man who came with a torn abdomen after gulping down the drink with liquid Nitrogen in it.
The doctors reportedly said that the food spilled out from his stomach, flooding the abdomen and the patient was at a very high risk of contracting a severe life threatening infection.
The man had ordered a drink that was presented with fumes. “When he downed it quickly, he experienced a pain starting in his abdomen with a burning sensation. “Perceiving it to be a form of acidity, the man asked the bar tender for another drink, since he wanted to squash the burning sensation. When the second drink did not assuage the discomfort and progressed to severe burning sensation and stomach ache,” stated the HT report.
Video Courtesy: YouTube
The man was immediately rushed to a hospital and the doctors attending him were shocked to see the patient’s condition. The stomach was torn from the inside and an incision of six inches could be seen by the doctors. The case was a life threatening one where immediate surgical intervention was required.
“The effect of mixing alcohol and nitrogen can lead to disastrous results. When it is mixed with any cocktail it produces a bubbly and smoky concoction. This is a popular but controversial novelty,” said a doctor.
“In this particular case, even the slightest delay could have led to fatal consequences,” added the doctor.