Dramatic scenes were witnessed in the Delhi Assembly when the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) staged a “live demonstration” of alleged manipulation of the Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) on Tuesday. Continuing its charge against the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of ‘rigging’ EVM machines in polls, the AAP threw an open challenge to the ruling party at the Centre to give them EVMs to prove their point.
Demonstrating the ‘proof’ of EVM tampering, AAP MLA Saurabh Bhardwaj claimed that anyone who knows the “secret code” can tamper with the EVMs. He also claimed to show that how the code can be fed into a machine while casting the votes.
“I will demonstrate that the faith of democracy in India rests on machines that a simple man like me can manipulate,” AAP MLA Saurabh Bhardwaj claimed while showing how EVMs work.
This is how Saurabh claims that EVMs are tampered:
– The EVMs are divided into two parts: Ballot unit and control unit. The control unit rests with the presiding officer while the ballot units are tested before polls.
– As voters cast their votes, they believe their vote is going to the party they chose: Saurabh Bhardwaj
– While demonstrating, Saurabh shows ‘how a tampered machine passes the mock test’. He also claimed that the machine is showing correct results for few votes.
– Resetting the machine, Saurabh demonstrated how the very same EVM, which passed the mock test, is manipulated during actual polls
– He claimed that the voter voted for Party X, light flashes on X, machine beeps. Hence the voter ‘believes’ that his vote has gone to the party X as the voter wanted.
– Saurabh claimed that as polling proceeds, the person assigned to tamper EVMs comes to the polling station, posing as a voter. He then inserts the secret codes that would ultimately decide which party will win.
– Saurabh displays how a manipulator posing as a voter can use simple codes to tamper the votes given to any party.
– He also claims that the ‘code theory’ is independent of number position of candidate that the manipulator can choose as per booth.
– Saurabh showed how the after entering the code, the share of votes that he had entered completely changed.
– “Once the polls close EVMS are sealed, numbers are noted and EVMs are guarded till strongrooms. But tampering is already done,” he claims.
– As per the random votes polled in by Saurabh, this was the result post the ‘rigging’
Votes polled – EVM Result
AAP 10 – 2
BSP 2 – 2
BJP 3 – 11
Cong 2 – 2
SP 2 – 2
– For the first time in India
– LIVE Demo of EVM tampering
– See for yourself
– Share with everyone#WeChallengeEC pic.twitter.com/PxOYoqvV0D
— AAP (@AamAadmiParty) May 9, 2017
Suarabh Bhardwaj successfully demonstrates how EVMs are tampered. Vote tally is absolutely different from actual votes cast. #WeChallengeEC
— AAP (@AamAadmiParty) May 9, 2017
The BJP was quick to rubbish AAP’s claims adding that this is just a tactic of the party to divert the attention of people from the allegations around Kejriwal.
In Delhi assembly AAP MLAs mocking democracy, another stunt to divert public attention from Kejriwal’s corruption. #ShameOnKejriwal
— BJP Delhi (@BJP4Delhi) May 9, 2017
Kejriwal is petrified as he knows that the truth is out thus constantly evading the media. #Kejriwal MUST answer.
— BJP Tarun Chugh (@bjptarunchugh) May 9, 2017
Before Bhardwaj’s demonstration, Kejriwal had tweeted that the AAP will be disclosing a big expose. “Saurabh Bhardwaj will reveal the truth behind a big conspiracy in the country. Satyameva Jayate”. Bhardwaj in the House claimed that over the years as an engineer, he had extensively worked in the area and was aware of how the machines can be fiddled with.
Here is the full video of Saurabh Bhardwaj’s demonstration in Delhi Assembly