After the poll debacle in the recently concluded Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) elections, Aam Aadmi Party’s Reshma Nadeem managed to win a seat for her party in the bypoll, which was contested for the Maujpur ward.
Her victory came as a surprise for many, as people hadn’t expected the AAP to win and also a few had heard the name of Nadeem, before the elections. Hailing from Ghaziabad, Nadeem had shifted to the national capital a few years back. Here’s all you need to know about the AAP leader:
- Before coming into the mainstream politics, Reshma Nadeem was an Area Sales Manager at Stanwell
Corporation, according to her Facebook profile.
- Earlier she was reportedly into the real estate business.
- She did her MBA for North India Engineering College, New Delhi. Apart from completing her MBA,
Reshma Nadeem has done Masters of Science and Bachelors of Education course.
- Born on December 18, 1986. She did her schooling from Seth Bhagwan Das School and later Sandhya Senior Secondary Public School, New Delhi. She got married in 2014.
- In Maujpur (ward 40 E), AAP Reshma, who got 9374 votes won the seat. She defeated Congress candidate Rekha Sharma by a margin of 699 votes. Sharma managed to get 8675 votes.
- Interestingly, the Maujpur ward was held by the BJP’s Sanjay Jain (outgoing leader of house, EDMC) who had won the MCD elections in 2012 with 12,652 votes.
After Nadeem’s win, AAP now has 49 wards. The Delhi Civic polls completed a washout of the AAP that began with humiliating defeats for the party in assembly elections earlier this year in Punjab and Goa, where Kejriwal was sure his party would form its next government after Delhi.
The bypoll took place on two seats on May 14 (Maujpur) and 21 (Sarai Pipal Thala) due to the death of two Samajwadi Party candidates.