Amar Singh, who survived the recent “outsider” storm in ruling Samajwadi Party, was today appointed SP General Secetary by party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Mulayam said in a handwritten letter to Amar:
The brief letter in Hindi signed by Mulayam on his Lok Sabha letter head was sent to media from state SP chief Shivpal Yadav’s official e-mail id.
Though SP big wigs were strongly opposed to Amar Singh, often described as an “outsider”, Mulayam threw his weight behind him, first by making him a Rajya Sabha member some time back and now allotting him an important party post.
The Mulayam Singh-Amar Singh-Akhilesh Yadav love -hate relationship
- Amar along with his close associate Jaya Prada were expelled from the Samajwadi Party in February, 2010.
- Amar Singh floated his own political party, Rashtriya Lok Manch, in 2011.
- He fielded a large number of candidates in 2012 assembly polls but none won.
- He had joined the Rashtriya Lok Dal and contested the 2014 Lok Sabha poll from Fatehpur Sikri but lost.
- More than six years after it expelled Amar, the Samajwadi Party made him its Rajya Sabha candidate a few months back.
- Amar had recently hosted a party for independent Rajya Sabha MP Subhash Chandra and the guests included Mulayam and his brother Shivpal Yadav, much to the annoyance of Akhilesh.
- Akhilesh shunted out Chief Secretary Deepak Singhal, who too attended the dinner.
- He also divested Shivpal of his plum portfolios.
- Taking strong exception to the move, Mulayam within hours replaced Akhilesh as the party’s UP chief, with rivals in the SP accusing Amar of having influenced Mulayam.
- Amar Singh’s discomfiture grew with Akhilesh becoming more assertive and it was reflected in his statement last month that those close to Mulayam were being “insulted” in the party.
- He complained that he was being made to sit in the back benches in Rajya Sabha
- He alleged he was being insulted, kept on “mute” and sidelined.
- But, backing Amar to the hilt, Mulayam said he stood byhim in his hard times.
- Mulayam made the statement to defend Amar on the charge that he had triggered the family feud in Yadav clan.
With inputs from PTI