Is the Nirbhaya gang-rape juvenile convict reformed? Here's what he is doing now

His release last year had caused widespread outrage with people questioning as to why was he not tried as an adult when he could commit such a crime.

As Asha Devi continues to wait for justice for her daughter who was gang-raped and tortured four years ago on the night of 16 December, reports have emerged that one of the accused who was juvenile is working at a roadside eatery.

According to a Hindustan Times report, the juvenile who’s identity was never revealed fearing threat to his life is now living somewhere in South India cooking at roadside dhaba. The officials have still not revealed his location.

He was tried as a minor and released in 2015 after serving a punishment of 3 years, the maximum that a juvenile can serve. His release sparked uproar with people questioning as to why was he not tried as the others and treated as adults when he could commit such a grave crime.

Nirbhaya’s mother lashed out at the top court for freeing the man who was involved in gang-rape case.

While not much information about the boy exists, reports suggested that the boy worked in Dhaba when he was 11 years old and was never really attached to his family members. He was working for Ram Singh, who was one of the accused in return of food.

The report further added that during his time in shelter the boy turned religious and even took to cooking. However, he was not really interested in studies but could write his own name.

Recalling the horrendous incident, Nirbhaya’s mother Asha Devi told ANI that even after four years since the Nirbhaya incident took place, they still have not found justice and that a similar incident took place exactly four years after Nirbhaya case.

On 16 December 2012, Nirbhaya, a 23-year-old female, was beaten, gang-raped and tortured in a moving bus in which she was traveling with her friend after returning from a movie in Delhi. She succumbed to her injuries 13 days after the brutal incident took place. The incident sparked widespread outrage with thousands across the country taking to streets to stage a massive protest against the accused while questioning the safety of the women in the national capital. Six people were put behind the bars. One of the six accused, Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide. While, the Delhi High Court awarded a death sentence to the other four-Akshay, Vinay Sharma, Pawan and Mukesh in 2013.