It is now mandatory to link your Aadhaar card to your PAN card. And there’s no time remaining, as the deadline to do this is June 30, i.e. tomorrow. A government notification says, “Every person who has been allotted permanent account number as on the 1st day of July 2017, and who in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 139AA is required to intimate his Aadhaar number, shall intimate his Aadhaar number to the Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) or Director General of Income-tax (Systems) or the person authorised by the said authorities,” a notification issued by the government said.
For those who don’t know how to link both the cards, here’s how to it:
- Register on the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department, www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Provide details such as full name, date of birth etc.
- After logging in, go to your profile setting which has the option of linking your Aadhaar Card.
- Check if the details such as name, date of birth and gender appearing on screen match with those on your Aadhaar card.
- Enter your Aadhaar card number and click on the ‘link now’ button. If details on both the cards match, your card will be linked instantly.
Video Courtesy: YouTube
Another major concern for many people is that what will happen if a person doesn’t have an Aadhaar card? Or what happens to you if Aadhaar card and Pan are not linked? Then here’s the answer to it as well:
- According to the Supreme Court of India, if you do not have an Aadhaar or do not wish to get an Aadhaar as of now, you don’t need to worry, at least for now. Your PAN will not be canceled in such a case.
- Eventually, however, you will have to get and quote your biometric number while filing your returns or even for those who are applying for PAN cards or opening bank accounts and the link.
- Though your PAN will not be invalid due to a non-Aadhaar linkage as of now, but it has to be quoted in all banking / financial transactions.
- The court does not provide any relief to those who already have both PAN and Aadhaar. You will have to link both.