In the latest list of billionaires released by Forbes on March 20, India has 101, world’s fourth largest number of billionaires. The Forbes list of the ‘World’s Billionaires’ 2017 consists of 2,043 of the richest people in the world who have a combined net worth of USD 7.67 trillion, a record 18-per cent increase over the past year.
The list has been topped by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates for the fourth year in a row. He has been the richest person in the world for 18 out of the past 23 years. Gates has a fortune of USD 86 billion, up from USD 75 billion last year, followed by Berkshire Hathaway chief Warren Buffet with a new worth of USD 75.6 billion.
Among the Indians, RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani is the richest with about USD 23.2 billion worth, while the chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal, Lakshmi Mittal stood at no 2 with over USD 16 billion.
Here are the top 10 super rich Indian personalities who are shining on Forbes, ‘World’s Billionaires’ 2017 list:
- With a net worth of USD 23.2 billion, Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), is the highest-ranked Indian in the list, at No. 33 in the Forbes list.
- Ambani is followed by the Lakshmi Niwas Mittal, an Indian steel magnate based in the United Kingdom. He is the chairman and CEO of ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steel making company. He is on number 56 with the net worth of USD 16.4 billion.
- The Chairman of Wipro Limited, Azim Premji is at number 72 in the list with net worth of USD 14.9 billion.
- Dilip Shanghvi, an Indian businessman and the co-founder of Sun Pharmaceuticals stands on no. 84 in the Forbes list. Shanghvi has a net worth of USD 13.7 billion.
- While Shiv Nadar an Indian Industrialist and is a founder and chairman of HCL is on number 102 with a net worth of USD 12.3 billion. He is also the founder of Shiv Nadar Foundation.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla, an Indian industrialist and the chairman of the Aditya Birla Group, is at number 133 on Forbes’ billionaire list. He has the net worth of USD 9.5 billion. He is also the chancellor of the Birla Institute of Technology & Science.
- Standing at 159 number of list, is Cyrus S. Poonawalla, an Indian businessman, the chairman of Poonawalla Group, which includes Serum Institute of India, the Indian biotech company that manufactures paediatric vaccines. He has a net worth of USD 8.1 billion.
- Uday Kotak, an Indian banker; Executive Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Kotak Mahindra Bank is on number 166 with the net worth of USD 8 billion.
- Sunil Bharti Mittal, an Indian entrepreneur and the Founder & Chairman of Bharti Enterprises, which has diversified interests in telecom, insurance, real estate, malls, hospitality, agri and food besides other ventures is on number 182 on Forbes list. He has the net worth of USD 7.5 billion.
- Gautam Shantilal Adani, an Indian businessman who is the chairman and founder of Adani Group is on number 250 on the list with net worth of USD 5.8 billion.