The situation seems alarming for the students as 23 universities and 279 technical Institutes in India have been declared as ‘fake’. According to the University Grant Commission (UGC), 279 Institutes in the country are offering engineering and other technical courses without the regulator’s permission.
The details of fake universities and fake technical institutes are available on the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in and AICTE website www.aicte-india.org.
UGC said Such universities are playing with the future of the students. Education certificates issued by such colleges and institutes are a waste. It has also warned students to beware of such fake universities ahead of the new academic session that will start in the month April.
According to an UGC official, “a list of unapproved and unregulated technical institutions has been sent to the concerned state authorities for taking strict action against such institutions.”
UGC also said the national capital tops the chart with 66 fake colleges. Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Maharashtra also have a huge number of fake technical institutes.
“Public notices are also published in newspapers cautioning the students not to take admission in such unapproved institutions,” the official said.
Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of State for Human Resource Development (HRD) told the Rajya Sabha recently that the ministry had written to state governments to investigate the matter and register police complaints against fake colleges.
The technical education regulator, the AICTE, has also issued notices to those schools who have not taken its approval before applying to such colleges.
Here is the list of ‘fake universities’ by UGC:
- Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
- Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
- United Nations University, Delhi.
- Vocational University, Delhi.
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110 008.
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
- St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta – 700063
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
- Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road, Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
- North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha.
However, Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP – the matter is subjudice before the District Judge – Lucknow