An army jawan was on Monday arrested from the international airport in Srinagar after two grenades were recovered from his possession. Bhopal Mukhiya of Jammu and Kashmir Rifles (JAK Rifles), who is posted at Uri, was taken into custody thereafter. The grenades were found in his possession during a search at the main gate of the airport.
The case is under investigation. Here is all you need to know about the incident so far:
- The jawan, Bhopal Mukhiya belongs to 17 JAK Rifles and serves near the Line of Control in the Uri sector of Kashmir. He hails from Darjeeling in West Bengal.
- He was arrested from Jammu and Kashmir’s Srinagar airport after two grenades were found in his baggage.
- As per reports, he has allegedly claimed that he was directed by some “Major Sahib” to carry the grenades to Delhi where some person would pick up the consignment.
- He was about to take a chartered flight to Delhi when a baggage check revealed the grenades.
- He was jointly interrogated by the police and the Central Reserve Police Force or CRPF.
- The soldier had entered the airport without having to undergo a security check at the entry.
- Director General of Police SP Vaid said the jawan will face action as per the law. “Be it an army jawan, a policeman or a civilian, everyone will have to face action. I do not have more details yet. I am going to the airport and will get the details,” he said.
- The DGP denied any information on whether it was a hijacking bid.