While the conclusion of polling in five states—Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Goa—people across the country are now eagerly waiting for the final results to be declared on March 11. If you go by the exit polls forecast by various media houses, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is all set to form its government in the state. The high-pitched battle is to be fought mainly between the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress. While Congress has made it clear that Harish Rawat will the Chief Minister if they come to power, BJP has not announced the Chief Minister candidate of the state.
As the nation awaits to see who pulls off a win in the state, here’s a probable list of candidates who could be the CM if BJP comes to power:
- Gen BC Khanduri: Since BJP holds a strong chance to win the elections as per the exit polls, the party could bring back Gen BC Khanduri to govern since he has been the chief minister of the state in the past. Khanduri has served as the Uttarakhand CM from 2007–09 and 2011–12. Khanduri was known for his cost-cutting methods when he saved up money by cutting on his security during his term as the CM. He was also the Cabinet Minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
- Satpal Maharaj: Son of spiritual guru Yogiraj Param Sant Shri Hans Ji Maharaj, Satpal Maharaj is the national executive member of the BJP. Satpal, who quit Congress to join BJP in 2014, had also approached former Prime Minister H. D. Deve Gowda for the formation of separate state of Uttarakhand.
- Bhagat Singh Koshiyari: Another leader from BJP who could be BJP’s CM face of Uttrakhand is Singh Koshiyari. An RSS veteran, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari is the second Chief Minister of Uttarakhand. He has also served as the BJP president for the state. With his roots in RSS, it is quite possible that Koshiyari could come back to being the Chief Minister of the state.
- Ajay Bhatt: Known as the dark horse of the party, Ajay Bhatt is the state BJP president. Known for his slogan, “Sabki ek hi ratt….Ajay Bhatt… Ajay Bhatt”, Bhatt has also severed as the Health Minister of Uttarakhand. If BJP does manage to pull off a win in the state, Ajay Bhatt stands a strong chance to become the chief minister. He has affirmed that rebels will not hurt BJP’s prospects in the Uttarakhand polls.
- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank: Just like Gen BC Khanduri, Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has served as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand. Currently, an MP from the lower house of the parliament, Ramesh Pokhriyal represents the Haridwar constituency. It was earlier reported that Ramesh was, however, unsuccessful in curbing corruption and infusing discipline in the party.
Just few hours and it would be clear which will wrest power in the state of Uttarakhand.