Indian skipper Virat Kohli proved yet again why he is considered as one of the modern-era greats. Moments after reaching to 5000 Test runs benchmark, he got yet another ton in Test cricket. This was the 20th century in his Test career and 52nd in International cricket. He reached this feat in the third and the final Test against Sri Lanka at the Feroz Shah Kotla stadium, New Delhi on December 2.
Prior to the Delhi Virat Kohli has played 10 Test matches and scored 850 runs. Though he is not among the top 3 Test batsmen in the ICC rankings, he has smashed a bunch of records this year.
The run machine continues. Three consecutive 100s for @imVkohli #INDvSL pic.twitter.com/sevr4oLuid
— BCCI (@BCCI) December 2, 2017
ALSO READ: “Virat Kohli or Joe Root, who is better?” Here’s what Sarfraz Ahmed replied — Watch Video
Here is the list of records Virat Kohli set in the Third Test at the Feroz Shah Kotla against Sri Lanka:
- Kohli became the first captain ever to score at least one century in every match of a 3-match Test series
- He became the 2nd fastest Indian to 20 Test centuries (in 105 innings) after Sunil Gavaskar (in 93 innings)
- He has become the fastest batsman to score 16000 international runs. Kohli took 350 innings to do so and surpassed Hashim Amla (363 innings) and his idol Sachin Tendulkar who took 376 innings
- He became the 4th fastest Indian to score 5000 Test runs after Sunil Gavaskar, Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar
- It was his 11th international century as a captain in the year 2017 which is a world record.
- He also equalled South Africa’s Dean Elgar to become the batsman with the most number of centuries in Test cricket in a calendar year
ALSO READ: Virat Kohli becomes 11th Indian batsman to score 5000 Test runs, also breaks Hashim Amla, David Warner’s record
In the previous Test match in Nagpur, he equalled the record of West Indies legendary batsman Brian Lara of scoring 5 double hundreds as a captain.
Earlier this day he left behind swashbuckling cricketers with the likes of David Warner, Hashim Amla and Kane Williamson to become the quickest batsman to get 5,000 Test runs. He also became the 11th Indian batsman after the legends like Kapil Dev, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, Sunil Gavaskar etc. to score this much runs.
India won the toss and elected to bat first. Indian lost 2 early wickets of Shikhar Dhawan (23) and Cheteshwar Pujara (23). But after that, Murali Vijaya and skipper Virat Kohli turned the game. Vijay scored his 11th Test ton while Kohli reached another feat in his career.
ALSO READ: Dinesh Chandimal mocks Team India ahead of 3rd Test, says can’t understand their preparation for SA tour