Virat Kohli scored his 32nd ODI century against New Zealand at Kanpur and narrowed down the difference of centuries between him and former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar. Kohli scored 113 runs from 106 balls with the help of 9 fours and 1 six. The Indian skipper also scored his second century in the ODI series and put on a game-changing partnership after Shikhar Dhawan got out early trying to hit a big shot off Tim Southee in the powerplay overs. His knock helped India to a mammoth total of 337 in the first innings making it a tough task for the Kiwis to win the series and create history.
Here are the list of records Kohli broke in his innings –
1. Kohli surpassed South African batsman AB de Villiers to become the quickest to 9,000 ODI runs. The Indian skipper took 195 innings to reach the feat whereas his Royal Challengers Bangalore teammate took 205 innings to reach the feat. De Villiers is followed by Sourav Ganguly (225 innings) and Sachin Tendulkar (238 innings).
2. Virat Kohli has now more than 2,000 runs in all formats in 2017. He is followed by Hashim Amla who has 1,988 runs in 2017. This is the third time he has scored more than 2,000 runs including all formats in a year. With that he has equalled Sachin Tendulkar’s record of achieving the feat three times in a row. Tendulkar, he has done it 5 times in his career including three times in a row. The Indian skipper amassed a total of 2595 runs in 41 innings in 2016 as well.
3. Kohli broke Ponting’s record of scoring most runs as a captain in ODIs in a year. The previous record was 1,424 runs.
— BCCI (@BCCI) October 29, 2017
4. The Delhi batsman became the 19th batsman to score 9,000 ODI runs and 6th Indian batsman to reach this feat.
5. His partnership with Rohit is the 6th highest partnership for second wicket by an Indian pair, it is also the third highest on Indian soil.
6. This was Kohli’s 6th hundred in 2017. He also went past Sourav Ganguly, Ricky Ponting , Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting who had scored 5 centuries as a captain in a calendar year.
7. The 28-year-old also broke his won career-best when it comes to the number of runs in ODIs in a year. He had scored 1,381 ODI runs in 2011. In 2017, he has already scored 1,460 ODI runs and counting.