Rohit Sharma finally delivers in the India vs New Zealand ODI series fter struggling against left-arm seamer Trent Boult. Rohit scored his 15th ODI century. The Indian opener seemed to have done his homework this time around as he did not falter at the start of the innings and did not play any reckless shots. He depended on proper cricketing shots and struck a few mighty hits when the ball was bowled in his zone. After Shikhar Dhawan’s wicket, Rohit shared a partnership of 230 runs for the second wicket. He scored 147 runs from 138 balls with the help of 18 fours and 2 sixes in his innings before getting out to Mitchell Santner trying to hit a biggie.
Here is the list of records broken and created by Rohit’s splendid innings –
1. Rohit became the second batsman after Kohli to score more than 1,000 ODI runs in 2017. He surpassed Joe Root who has scored 983 runs in 2017. Rohit has 1,076 runs in 2017 from 18 ODIs.
2. Rohit became the second fastest to 150 sixes in ODIs. The Mumbai Indians skipper took 165 innings to reach the feat. Only Shahid Afridi took fewer innings to hit 150 sixes in ODIs (160 innings).
3. Rohit has equalled former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag’s tally of 15 ODI centuries. The Mumbai batsman is the fourth in the list only behind Sourav Ganguly (22), Virat Kohli (32) and Sachin Tendulkar (49).
4. Rohit also created a unique record as he along with Kohli became the quickest to go past 1,000-run ODI mark in a calendar year when compared to batsmen from other countries. A feat like this has been achieved by three Indian pairs in the past. Sourav Ganguly and Mohammad Azharuddin did it in 1997. In 1998, three Indian batsmen reached the feat — Azharuddin, Ganguly and Tendulkar. It is followed by Gautam Gambhir and MS Dhoni who achieved the feat in 2008.
— BCCI (@BCCI) October 29, 2017
5. His partnership of 230 runs for second wicket with Kohli is the sixth-highest second-wicket partnership for India in the history of ODIs and third highest on Indian soil.
6. He also became the second batsman after Kohli in the number of centuries scored in 2017. Rohit has scored 5 ODI centuries while Kohli has scored 6.