An out-of-form Delhi Daredevils (DD) led by Gautam Gambhir will go up against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) on their home ground, Feroz Shah Kotla. KXIP batsmen, especially their opening pair — KL Rahul and Chris Gayle, are making life tough for bowlers. Rahul has scored two half-centuries in the tournament so far whereas Gayle has scored three back-to-back fifty-plus scores, including a century. DD are currently at the bottom of the Indian Premier League (IPL) points table with just one win from five games whereas KXIP have a chance to become table toppers as they are in the second position with four wins from five games.
Irrespective of which team wins the match, we might see a few feats achieved in this fixture —
1. Chris Gayle can go past Robin Uthappa’s tally of runs in IPL across all seasons. Gayle is in the seventh position with 3,855 runs whereas Uthappa is sixth with 3,940 runs. Seeing Gayle’s form, if he scores 86 runs or more, he can go past Uthappa. The ‘Universe Boss’ is also in contention of wearing the orange cap. He needs to score just 11 runs to be on the top and dethrone Rajasthan Royals’ (RR) Sanju Samson.
2. Not just Gayle but KL Rahul can get the orange cup as well. He needs to score 27 runs or more to get to the top. However, he may have to fight it out with Gayle to be on the top of the table.
3. DD’s Trent Boult and KXIP’s Andrew Tye are in contention to get the purple cap. They need two or more wickets to go past Sunil Narine, Mayank Markande, Umesh Yadav and Chris Woakes. Rahul Tewatia can claim the purple cap too if he manages to get three or more wickets.
4. KXIP skipper Ravichandran Ashwin needs just two wickets to go past former Indian bowler Ashish Nehra’s tally of wickets in IPL. Ashwin is in 8th place whereas Nehra is 7th on the list of bowlers with most wickets in IPL.
5. With one more half-century, DD skipper Gautam Gambhir can be on the top of IPL’s most half-centuries list. Former Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) skipper David Warner and Gambhir have scored 36 half-centuries each. It’s time for Gambhir to be on the top of the list and lead his team from the front. By scoring another half-century, he can also equal the number of half-centuries scored by Warner for DD.
6. Rishabh Pant and Shreyas Iyer can move up the ladder on the list of most sixes by a batsman while playing for DD. Virender Sehwag is on the top with 85 sixes. Iyer (41 sixes) and Pant (37) can go past Jean-Paul Duminy (43 sixes) if they manage to fire up their bats.