Virat Kohli-led Indian cricket team defeated Sri Lanka by an inning and 239 runs on day four of the second Test match in Nagpur. Unlike the first match, the Lankans bowling looked completely overshadowed by the Indian batting show. From Murali Vijay to Rohit Sharma, 3 batsmen scored their respective centuries. Skipper Virat Kohli got the 5th double hundred in Tests and grabbed the Player of the match award.
The Indian bowlers bowled some outstanding spells in both the innings. Especially, the spinners who faced a serious drought of wickets in Kolkata. Ravichandran Ashwin took the most number of wickets (8) in the match and completed 300 wickets in his international Test career. Pacer Ishant Sharma’s comeback turned out to be really impressive as he successfully clinched 5 wickets in the game.
Let’s have a look at the list of records created during the 2nd Test by the Indian Cricket Team:
- This is Team India’s biggest victory ever. They also defeated Bangladesh back in 2007 by an inning and 239 runs. By the same difference, the Indian team defeated Sri Lanka on November 27, 2017.
- This is India’s 11th Test victory by an inning against Sri Lanka. Also the third in a row.
- Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest to clinch 300 Test wickets in this match and surpassed Deniss Lilee’s record.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli has equalled Rahul Dravid and Graeme Smith’s record of 5 double centuries in Test cricket. He has also equalled Brian Lara’s record of scoring 5 double centuries as the team’s captain.
- For the third time and after seven years, 4 batsmen of a team have scored centuries in a single inning.
- Virat Kohli becomes the first cricketer to score 10 centuries as a captain in a calendar year.
- This is for the 12th time that Ashwin dismissed Lahiru Thirimanne in an inning.
- Murali Vijaya and Cheteshwar Pujara added 209 runs for the 2nd wicket. This is the 9th 100+ runs partnership between Vijay and Pujara.
- 32 matches won in 2017 – Most wins for India in a calendar year across formats
India is currently leading the series by 1-0. The last match is to be played at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi from December 2.