One of the most dynamic batsmen in the world at present, the 33-year-old South African AB de Villiers said he will meet Cricket South Africa (CSA) to decide his future in the International cricket. AB be Villiers would miss the upcoming four-Test series against England as he is taking a break from cricket. De Villiers headed back home after leading the South African squad in a 19-run defeat by England in Cardiff on June 25 that saw them beaten 2-1 in a three-match Twenty20 series.
“I am going to meet with CSA (Cricket South Africa) in August, and that will decide my (international) future,” De Villiers told reporters, adding “We are not going to pick and choose games, but we are going to make a final decision about what happens for the next few years.”
About the next cricket world cup which will take place in England in two years’ time. De Villiers said: “It’s my main dream to win a World Cup for South Africa, or to be part of it in one way or another.”
AB de Villiers, who has scored more than 8,000 runs in 106 Tests, including 21 hundreds, at an average of over 50, is one of the world’s leading players in all three international formats.
Asked what he would do for the next couple of months, De Villiers said: “I am going to spend a bit of time off at home with the family, I’m going to welcome my new youngster into the world, and obviously look to stay fit.”
Earlier this month, AB de Villiers issued an apology for South Africa’s failure to reach the semi-finals of the just concluded ICC Champions Trophy cricket tournament in England and Wales.
Despite always being termed as favourites, South Africa haven’t won an ICC tournament since the 1998 Champions Trophy triumph in Bangladesh, earning the tagline of ‘chokers’.