Hug day, which is celebrated on 12th February, might just be one day in the entire year where you get an overdose of the affectionate gesture. But hugs are fantastic and you must keep up the tradition throughout the year to keep yourself healthy and happy. They make you feel loved and create an unspoken connection with other people in a fabulously simple way.
Here are 10 reasons why you should keep giving away some hugs and get them back as well.
- Hugs can make you fight stress and depression in the easiest and cheapest way. A warm hug raises oxytocin levels in your body which will help you keep the bad moods away or help you deal with stressful situations in a better way.
- Studies suggest that long cuddly hugs can release more serotonin in your body which is a hormone that elevates mood and makes you happy.
- People who suffer from social anxiety feel better in bigger groups when they get hugs from someone in that group as it presents a welcoming atmosphere.
- Human communication gets better with hugs as the body language associated with a hug is that of affection and love. It can immediately reduce awkwardness and increases the bond between people, showing the other person what you share without needing words to express it.
- Sharing hugs right from your childhood will keep your self-esteem high when you grow old since hugging and physical contact is a surefire way to know that you are loved. And having love and care in your childhood is a good way to nurture your confidence that reflects on your adult life as well.
- Remember how we told you that hugging releases oxytocin. It is the same hormone that also helps alleviate pain in your body especially when it is sharp pain that you feel when you get hurt.
- It can also keep heart problems at bay as many studies have suggested that close embraces, especially with your loved ones, will keep you calm and aid in maintaining blood pressure in your body; hence, also keeping your heart healthier and stronger.
- Hugging your significant other can activate the thymus gland which aids in producing white blood cells. As we all know WBCs fight infections and a healthy production of these cells will make sure that your immunity is high. Hugging is one of the cheapest ways of making sure that you stay healthy.
- They are a beautiful and simple way to reduce anger. Especially reducing elevated blood pressure levels, increased stress and other symptoms associated with the temper.
- Last but not the least, hugs can make you feel better even when you are at your most upset. If you are heartbroken or have lost someone dear, you may not want to say everything out loud. A big warm hug can help you get it out of your system. Hugs are the perfect way to make yourself feel less lonely and less sad.