Prime Minister Narendra Modi today condemned the blast in Manchester in the UK which killed at least 19 people and injured around 50. “Pained by the attack in Manchester. We strongly condemn it. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured,” he tweeted.
An explosion occurred at a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in the Manchester city which is being treated as a terrorist incident. The pop star is safe after the incident. Eyewitnesses reported hearing a loud “bang” from inside the venue, which was playing host to a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande. Video footage from the scene showed bloodied victims being helped by emergency services.
Pained by the attack in Manchester. We strongly condemn it. Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with the injured.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 23, 2017
The blasts reportedly went off at the end of the concert near the box office area of the venue. “Police were called to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena. So far 19 people have been confirmed dead with around 50 others injured,” Greater Manchester Police said in a statement. “This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident
until police know otherwise,” the statement said.
Grande is safe, her spokesperson said. “It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us,” an eyewitness said. The blasts reportedly went off at the end of the concert near the box office area of the venue.
“Some people were screaming they’d seen blood but other people were saying it was balloons busting or a speaker had been popped,” said another eyewitness. The UK’s Network Rail said train lines out of Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, were blocked.