Uncertainty looms over fate of at least 1.5 crore school-leaving students after Delhi High Court directed CBSE to not to scarp its moderation policy this year. Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar, however, has said that there is no need to worry over the High court order as results will be declared on time.
Speaking with reporters, Javdekar said, “CBSE result will be declared on time, the date will be told by CBSE. No need to worry about court’s order, justice will be done for all.” The education board has decided to move Supreme Court to challenge the Delhi High Court order.
CBSE chairman R K Chaturvedi, however, maintained that the court order is being “studied” and all attempts are being made not to delay the results. Earlier, Javadekar has supported the policy and said it will stay in effect for now.
“Equalisation of marks for different question papers is OK. But spiking is absolutely unacceptable,” HRD Minister Javadekar told English news channel CNN News18 in an interview broadcast on Wednesday.
The High Court had termed as “unfair and irresponsible” the board’s decision to scrap its ‘moderation policy’ under which grace marks are awarded to students to make up for difficult question papers or confusing, inarticulate questions and had asked why it cannot be implemented from next year.
Under this policy, students who appear in board exams can be awarded up to 15 per cent extra marks. The CBSE along with 32 other boards had decided to do away with the marks moderation policy last month.