Anil Baijal has taken oath as the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, oath was administered by Delhi HC Chief Justice G Rohini. He takes after Najeeb Jung quit before his term ended as the LG of Delhi amid several rounds of clashes with the Arvind Kejriwal government.
Who is Baijal?
– Baijal is a 1969 batch Indian Administrative Services Officer (IAS) of the Union territory cadre. He also holds a master’s degree in Arts from the University of Allahabad and the University of East Anglia.
– During NDA’s rule(1999-2004), he served as the Union Home Secretary but had to leave the post when UPA government assumed power.
– He also served as the Chairman and Managing Director of the Delhi Development Authority. He had been brought by LK Advani to change DDA’s scam hit image.
– During his tenure as a home secretary, he removed Kiran Bedi from her post as the head of jails accusing her on breaking every clause in the jail manual.
– He also served as a chairman, MD of Indian Airlines, CEO of Prasar Bharati Corporation and introduced DD Bharti.
– As an additional home secretary in the Information and Broadcasting, he is said to have played a crucial in extracting news from entertainment.
Delhi: Anil Baijal to take oath as Delhi Lieutenant Governor shortly. pic.twitter.com/BuViRDpHwv
— ANI (@ANI_news) December 31, 2016
– Finally, he retired as a secretary in Urban Development Ministry in the year 2006 and later worked with many corporate boards.
– Post retirement, he was as a part of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) worth Rs.60,000 crore.
– Baijal also served as a member of the executive council of the Vivekananda International Foundation.
– Baijal was to replace NN Vohra as the governor of Jammu and Kashmir but the Centre decided against it after the situations in the valley deteriorated post killing of Burhan Wani.