Delhi is having its iss-shaher-ko-hua-kya-charo-taraf-dhuan-dhuan moment again. Like those disgruntled non-smokers in the buzz-kill disclaimer video that is played before film screenings, Delhiites can be seen walking around with masks and hankies plastered around their face in a smoky, dystopian landscape.
Except, this is real. If you don’t believe us, ask our lungs.
The smoke, which is an outcome of crop burning in the states of Punjab and Haryana, has already turned the city into a gas chamber.
The pollution levels are staggeringly high and are expected to get even worse. The dense smog has resulted in very low visibility in the national capital. Cars are piling up at expressways like Lego bricks and the Indian Medical Association (IMA) even declared the situation in Delhi a “public health emergency.”
All this might have mustered some online outrage, but you know you will forget all about the air you are breathing the moment the Hrithik Roshan reveals something earth-shattering about his equation with Kangana Ranaut.
So, let’s not kid ourselves and enlist 13 things that we need to obsess over rather than caring about the air we breathe.
1. When is the next overly-priced iPhone coming out?
2. Wonder what clothes Suhana Khan or Alia Bhatt is wearing today.
3. Taking offence to memes and comedians’ jokes.
4. Whether we’ll get firecrackers for Diwali because “cultural preservation” is paramount.
5. What clothes women should or should not wear.
6. The age gap between a celebrity and his much younger lover.
7. Banning films because people can be over-sensitive.
8. Whether women get to choose if they should bear a child for nine months.
9. What food people should be eating.
1o. Hauling people up for not standing for the national anthem in cinema halls.
11. Predicting the latest twist in the Kangana-Hrithik saga
12. Judging the personal lives of two consenting adults