Ever since Pehredaar Piya Ki went on air it has created a lot of controversies over its content. On Tuesday, August 29 the Sony Entertainment Television confirmed that it had pulled the controversial show off air. The development came after a string of complaints to the BCCC against the show, which revolved around an 18-year-old girl marrying a 9-year-old boy. However, now the producer Sumeet Mittal claimed that it was the irresponsible social media buzz responsible for the show’s abrupt ending. In an interview with a leading daily, he finally opened up about the issue. Explaining his stand he said that people should not have judged the show over an out of context promo or scene.
“I think the social media. I agree that people have the freedom of speech but one can’t be so irresponsible. There’s a show where so many people are working and you can’t judge it over an out of context promo or scene. I have time and again said that the people who are talking negative about the show are not the ones who watch TV. We have to understand the organic reach of a specific show. Pehredaar Piya Ki audience is not the ones who troll or bash things online,” said Sumeet on being asked what led the show to go off the air.
Earlier this month, the Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) had directed the channel to shift the show to a late night slot, besides running it with a scroll stating that it did not promote the concept of child marriage.
Meanwhile, the makers of the show also promised to return with a renewed story. Talking about the same, he explained: “We are very much working on the story right now. We are developing the content for an earlier time slot. Due to the late time slot, we decided to shut off the show and come back with a renewed story, which would answer all the objections that viewers had from the concept.”
Pehredaar Piya Ki featured Tejaswi Prakash Wayangankar and Affan Khan in the lead.
For interesting entertainment and lifestyle videos from InUth, follow us on Youtube.com/InUthdotcom