Dangal: Aamir Khan, Geeta Phogat has a different story to tell on coach controversy

There were rumours that Dangal has presented facts in a distorted way to make the story more interesting. Here's what Aamir has to say on the controversy

Aamir Khan’s Dangal is breaking all the records at the Box Office and is winning hearts all around the world. Not only domestically but the movie is doing really well overseas. A few days back in an interview with DNA, Geeta and Babita Phogat’s real life coach PR Sondhi said that he is really upset with the makers of the film for portraying him in a bad light.

And expressing his disappointment, Mr. Sondhi said:

They have named the character PR Kadam, but somewhere it is loosely based on my life. I have known Mahavirji Phogat for many years and his two daughters trained under me for more than three years and not once did he interfere.

Also read: Dangal Box Office collection: Aamir Khan sports drama on its glorious run to reach Rs 200 cr in 7 days

It was also being said that he might take legal action against Aamir Khan and the makers for portraying him in a negative role. But surprisingly, in an interview with ANI, Sondhi said:

Mai ek baar Aamir Khan ko kehna chahunga ki unhe coach se baat karni chahiye thi role dikhane se pehle.

Also read: Dangal beats Sultan to become the best film of 2016

Also read: Dangal Box Office collections: Aamir’s blockbuster failed to beat 10 records made by SRK, Salman, Hrithik

After the coach’s allegations, there were rumours that Dangal has presented facts in a distorted way to make the story more interesting. However, Aamir Khan clarified his stance in a statement and mentioned that every film needs a bit of fictional recreation. He said:

In every biopic little fiction is added but essence of their story is kept intact.

Also read: Watch: Little Azad doing Dangal with papa Aamir Khan

Also read: Kerala Box Office: Dangal creates history, Pulimurugan continues an amazing hunt even after 80-days

Geeta Phogat also spoke about the whole issue in an interview with ABP News and said that 99% of the film tells a real story and the remaining 1% is fiction to make it more interesting. She added that it is not necessary that the coach they have shown in the film is the same coach who is objecting to his character in Dangal, as she has trained with many coaches.

Also read: Beyond Dangal: The real story of Geeta Phogat’s struggle

Directed by Nitesh Tiwari, the film is a biopic of wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat, who trains his daughters Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari. And Sanya, who played Geeta in the film, also received a handwritten note from Amitabh Bachchan for her amazing performance.