In a fresh twist to the entire controversy which has engulfed Akshay Kumar’s upcoming film Jolly LLB 2, the makers have agreed to withdraw their plea from the Supreme Court. The director Subhash Kapoor said that they respect the decision of the Bombay High Court and would screen the film with four cuts. The petitioner Fox Star Studios had yesterday approached the apex court challenging the decision of the Bombay High Court. The HC had ordered makers to delete four scenes from the film citing defamation to the judicial system.
The Akshay Kumar-Huma Qureshi starrer is slated for a release on 10 February. It got itself embroiled in a controversy when a lawyer raised objections against the content after seeing the trailer. He filed a PIL in the High Court and claimed the film showed lawyers in a bad light. He demanded that a scene where lawyers were shown playing cards in the court premises and one in which the judge hid behind the dais, should be deleted from the film.
After the petition, the court appointed an amicus curiae to review the film. Earlier on February 3, SC gave its judgment on the whole issue and refused to put the screening of Jolly LLB 2 on hold. This happened after the makers argued in the apex court that the film was given a clearance by Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). The bench of Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Ashok Bhushan asked the petitioner Fox Star Studios to approach the High Court and advance all its contentions before it.
Jolly LLB 2 case: Petitioner, Fox Star Studios, agrees to withdraw its plea from the Supreme Court.
— ANI (@ANI_news) February 7, 2017
Also read: Hasn’t the High Court mocked itself by asking Jolly LLB 2 makers to chop off 4 scenes before its release?
But yesterday the HC gave its judgement and cited scenes in the film defamed the judiciary. The court further said that some of the dialogues should be modified.