Mohanlal blockbuster Pulimurugan has successfully completed 150-theatrical days at the Kerala Box Office. Directed by Vysakh and written by Udayakrishna, the action entertainer was bankrolled by Tomichan Mulakupadam under his banner Mulakupadam Films. The film, which had released on the auspicious occasion of Dusshera 2016 starred the four-time National-award winner in the titular role of a hunter, Murugan. Pulimurugan went on to become the all-time biggest blockbuster in Malayalam cinema history.
On its glorious 150-theatrical days, have a look at the records set by the Laalettan blockbuster:
1. Pulimurugan is the biggest Malayalam release at the Kerala Box Office. The film was released in a record number of 214 screens across Kerala, which is the highest ever for a Malayalam film.
2. On its opening day, Pulimurugan has emerged the biggest Malayalam opener at the Kerala Box Office. The film had minted Rs. 4.05 crore to become the top Malayalam opener and all-time second opener after Kabali at the Kerala Box Office.
3. Pulimurugan holds the record of highest single collections day at the Kerala Box Office. On its third day of release (Sunday) The Complete Actor’s film has minted a record-breaking Rs. 4.83 crore at the cinemas across Kerala. The film has surpassed the record of Rs. 4.27 crore set by the Rajinikanth blockbuster Kabali on its opening day at the Kerala Box Office.
4. Pulimurugan recorded the highest opening week at the Kerala Box Office. In fact, the movie went on to collect a massive Rs. 25 crore on its 6-day-opening-week to become the first ever film to do so at the Kerala Box Office. The film has surpassed the lifetime collections of many Malayalam blockbusters including Action Hero Biju, Maheshinte Prathikaram, Jacobinte Swarga Rajyam and King Liar in 6-theatrical days.
5. Pulimurugan is the fastest Malayalam film to cross 10,000 shows in India. The film had achieved this remarkable feat in two weeks of its theatrical release. Pulimurugan is the fastest film to cross 20000 shows in Kerala. Pulimurugan is the first film to screens 100+ shows even after completing 75-days at the Kerala Box Office.
6. Pulimurugan is the first Rs. 50 crore grosser at the Kerala Box Office and the fastest film to do so. The Vysakh directorial is also the fastest film to cross Rs. 10 crore, Rs. 20 crore, Rs. 30 crore, Rs. 40 crore, Rs. 50 crore, Rs. 60 crore, Rs. 70 crore and Rs. 80 crore respectively at the Kerala Box Office.
7. Pulimurugan is the all-time highest grosser in Malayalam film history. The Mohanlal starrer has shattered his own blockbuster, Drishyam to do so. It’s also worth mentioning that Pulimurugan took just 17 theatrical days to cross the lifetime collections of Rs. 42.50 crore set by Drishyam (100 + theatrical-days) at the Kerala Box Office.
8. The pre-release business of Pulimurugan was a whopping Rs. 15 crore, an unheard price for a Malayalam film prior to release. The film also emerged as the highest Malayalam grosser in Rest Of India markets as well especially in Mumbai and Chennai.
9. Pulimurugan had a dream theatrical run at the Cochin multiplexes. The film had a 119-days long theatrical run at the Cochin multiplexes with nearly 2,80,000 footfalls. The film has grossed a whopping Rs. 4.31 crore to become the all-time highest grossing film at the Cochin multiplexes. Upon its release, Pulimurugan had emerged as the fastest Rs. 2 crore, Rs. 3 crore and Rs. 4 crore grosser at the Cochin multiplexes.
10. Pulimurugan also set an unbelievable record in the Mumbai circuit as well. Interestingly, Pulimurugan had a glorious 62 days theatrical run in Mumbai. The achievement is extraordinary considering that Bollywood blockbusters of 2016, Salman Khan starrer Sultan, Akshay Kumar’s Rustom and Sushant Singh Rajput’s MS Dhoni : The Untold Story struggled to run past 50-theatrical days in Mumbai. With this feat, Pulimurugan emerged as one of the highest running films of 2016 in Mumbai along with Marathi films Katyar Kaljat Ghusali, Natsamrat and Sairat. Mohanlal’s 2016 Onam release, Oppam too had a remarkable run at the Mumbai Box Office.
11. Pulimurugan continued its magical run overseas as well. Pulimurugan is the third highest grossing South Indian film of 2016. The Mohanlal starrer has shattered many 2016 blockbusters like Surya’s 24, Allu Arjun’s Sarrainodu and his own blockbuster Janatha Garage to do so.
12. Pulimurugan is Malayalam cinema’s first Rs 100 crore and Rs 150 crore grosser worldwide. The film is also Mohanlal’s second Rs 100 crore hit of 2016 after his Telugu blockbuster Janatha Garage.
13. Pulimurugan is the all-time highest Malayalam grosser in the USA, UK and at the New Zealand Box Office. The action entertainer has overpowered the collections of Malayalam blockbusters Premam and Two Countries to do so.
14. Pulimurugan is the biggest Indian release ever at the UAE Box Office. Upon its UAE release, on 3rd November 2016, the Complete Actor’s film was screened in more than 450 screens across the cinemas of UAE. The Malayalam film has also broken the screen count record of Baahubali : The Beginning, Kabali and Sultan.
15. Upon its release, Pulimurugan has set a new record at the UAE Box Office. minted Rs 13.83 crore on its opening weekend at the UAE Box Office. The opening weekend numbers came as a huge surprise for its makers as the film minted Rs 12.91 crore on its opening weekend at the Kerala Box Office. The Mohanlal-starrer has shattered the UAE opening weekend collections of Kabali, Sultan and Baahubali as well.
16. Pulimurugan is the highest grossing South Indian film at the UAE Box Office. The Mohanlal starrer, which is still running to limited screens across UAE has so far minted a whopping Rs 37 crore at the UAE Box Office. Pulimurugan, at number 5, is the only South Indian film among all-time top 10 highest grossers list. The film also shattered the likes of Bollywood blockbusters including Kick, PK, Happy New Year and Bang Bang.
17. The film is the third highest running film at the UAE Box Office. The film, with a 98-theatrical days has beaten Salman Khan’s 2015 Eid blockbuster, Bajrangi Bhaijaan (75 days) to do so. The top two slots were occupied by Mohanlal 2013 blockbuster Drishyam (125 days) and 1996 Hollywood classic Titanic (110 days).
18. Similar to Pulimurugan, the Telugu dubbed version of the film, Manyam Puli too went on to become blockbuster at the Tollywood Box Office. The Telugu version, which had distributed for a small price has reportedly grossed Rs. 11.25 crore at the Telugu-speaking states.
19.With Pulimurugan, Mohanlal emerged as the first Indian actor to have three all-time blockbusters within a span of 2 months. Apart from Pulimurugan, his Telugu film, Janatha Garage and Malayalam film Oppam, all were released within 60 calendar-days and all three films went on to become top-industry hits. Interestingly, the actor’s next two releases, Manyam Puli and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol were blockbusters at the Box office as well. In January 2017, Mohanlal emerged as the first Indian actor to have 5 straight blockbusters in 5 months.
20. With Pulimurugan Mohanlal has equalled Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar’s record to deliver two successive Rs 100 crore grossers in quick succession. Lalettan recorded back-to-back Rs 100 hits (Janatha Garage, Pulimurugan) within a span of 67-theatrical days while the Bollywood Khiladi took the same number of days to record two Rs 100 crore hits (Housefull 2, Rowdy Rathore) in the year 2012.
Pulimurugan starred Bengali actress Kamalini Mukherjee as the female lead. The film also featured Lal, Namitha, Jagapati Babu, Vinu Mohan and Bala.