Five people were reportedly killed and several other were left injured after gunmen opened fire outside a mosque in Québec City of Canada on January 30.  The attack took place during the evening prayers.

The police have rushed to the spot. According to reports, 3 gunmen carried out the attack, out of which, two of them have been arrested. The witnesses confirmed that the incident took place at about 8 PM. The injured are being rushed to the hospital. The three of the gunmen reportedly entered the Islamic Cultural Centre in the Quebec city and opened fire on people in the mosque. At least 40 people were said to be in the building.

The entire area has been cordoned off. It is being reported that the death toll is likely to rise.

“This is barbaric. Why is this happening,” the Mosque’s president was quoted as saying. However, the president was not inside the mosque when the attack took place. He said that even though he was not present at the spot, he received calls panic-stricken people from the mosque. The exact number of people injured in the shooting has not been ascertained as yet. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the attack saying that it was nothing but a “cowardly act”.

It is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear. Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance,” he said in his statement.

Last year, in June, a pig’s head was left at the mosque, in the holy month of Ramadan.