Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani announced the launch of the newbie telecom operator’s feature phone– Jio Phone– at the company’s 40th Annual Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Mumbai on Friday. “Today, Jio is going to reinvent the conventional feature phone. Let me introduce India ka Intelligent SmartPhone,” Ambani said while launching the Jio Phone.
“Starting 15th August this year, I am declaring DIGITAL FREEDOM for all feature phone users,” he added during his speech.
Unlike most feature phones available in the market, Jio Phone offers 4G LTE connectivity to all its users and even responds to voice commands like conventional smartphones. To put it simply, you can make calls, use apps and even play songs by asking your Jio Phone to do so.
Interestingly, Jio Phone understands 22 Indian languages, which means that you no longer have to give commands to your phone in English. You can instead use Hindi or any other regional language to use your Jio Phone.
Here are the specifications of the Jio Phone:
– Jio Phone features a compact design along with a 2.4-inch QVGA display.
– It features a powerful speaker system that enables you to play songs and watch your favourite videos on loud volumes.
– It also features an SD card slot for expanding the internal memory of the phone along with a headphone jack and a camera.
– Apart from 4G connectivity, Jio Phone features FM Radio. It will get NFC connectivity later this year.
– You can watch videos on a larger screen by connecting your Jio Phone to your TV using a Jio Phone TV cable.
– The Phone will come with a bunch of preloaded apps like Jio Music, Jio TV and Jio Movies.
– You can also make UPI-based payments using your Jio Phone.
Jio Phone will be available at an effective price of Rs 0. However, users will have to make a one-time security deposit of Rs 1,500 while getting the phone. This amount will be fully refunded at the end of 3 years.
For interesting tech videos from InUth, follow us on Youtube.com/InUthdotcom