While the opinion polls and predictors got it horribly wrong, few people got the US presidential elections prediction right.
Michael Moore. Yes, the same filmmaker who questioned former US President George W Bush over the horrific 9/11 attacks. The same person whose documentary Bowling for Columbine created a stir in gun-friendly country was among the handful of those people. Day after Donald Trump was elected as the 45th president of the United States, Moore took to Facebook with a list of to-dos for the people who had not anticipated a victory for the billionaire. The Fahrenheit 9/11 had predicted a Trump win while present his film Michael Moore in Trumpland.
His post immediately got viral, raking in more than three lakh likes and 1.5 lakh shares.
Here’s a list of to-do things according to Moore after the election results.
- Take over the Democratic party and give it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn’t let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must “heal the divide” and “come together.”
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that’s about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked”. What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You’re fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College.
So, in 2020 when the United States goes to elect its next president, we know whom to ask first.