Doctors at Sadar Hospital, in Jharkhand’s Palamu district, turned out to be a God for a 14-year-old boy, when they gave him a new life. Sahil, who was brought to the government hospital in a critical condition with several external injuries and with near-zero pulse rate was saved by doctors who donated blood to him and performed surgery at their own risk.

Dr Praveen Siddharth, a young Orthopaedic surgeon, took all on him to save the life of an unidentified teenager. He took to Twitter and Siddharth tagged the PMO handle in a tweet about the boy, thereby activating the local media and the government.

On April 13, the railway police brought Sahil to the hospital with his left leg nearly chopped off, bones of his left elbow crushed and deep abrasions all over. He had severe head injuries. It was believed that he fell off a speeding train near Daltonganj railway station.

A Civil surgeon at Palamu, Dr Kalanand Mishra said, ‘being in critical condition the teenager required immediate blood but the hospital’s blood bank did not have that group. So, in order to save his live a staffer, Abhishek Komal, donated the blood.”

“The blood donation by the staffer was not enough. So a doctor from another hospital, Sushil Kumar Pandey, volunteered for it, followed by others.

Dr Pandey said, “I was now responsible for this one life. It was a human reaction— and as we took an active interest all our staff joined in to save his life.”

Sahil’s father, Rishi Kapoor (alias Shankar), an auto-rickshaw driver from Jamshedpur said, “doctors donated blood, arranged for CT Scan and other facilities not available at the hospital, got him medicines not available there and carried out a complicated surgery at their own risk.”

“My son was dead. He was brought back to life by doctors and people of Daltonganj. What doctors did was just miraculous. I will never be able to return the debt,” Kapoor said.

Dr Siddharth, said, “people advised me against any surgery, as the patient’s relatives were not there, but I realised that if the infected parts were not removed, the severely injured leg would turn septic. And that could have proven fatal. On April 15, I decided to go ahead with the operation. My seniors and colleagues cooperated.”

“As we took a huge risk, doctors administered anaesthesia and performed the surgery to remove the infected part,” Dr Siddharth added.

Dr Siddharth further asserted, “the surgery led to further blood loss, which was natural. I waited until evening, and when the blood bank could not arrange, it was my turn to donate blood.” He also requested people that they should believe in doctors.

He also requested people that they should believe in doctors.