A day after a fisherman was killed after Sri Lanka (SL) Navy opened fire at a group of fishermen who were fishing between Danushkodi and Katchatheevu, the Indian government has demanded probe from Sri Lanka in this case. On the other hand, the Sri Lanka government stated that an initial probe has been ordered to find out whether the Sri Lankan Navy was involved in the shootout or not.

Earlier on March 7,  a 22-year old fisherman who was fishing near the islet with other fishermen when Navy personnel from Sri Lanka reached the spot and allegedly opened fire. Later, the Ministery of External affairs said,”The Government of India is highly concerned over the killing of the Indian fishermen. India’s high commissioner to Sri Lanka has taken up the matter with Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe. The SL navy has promised a detailed investigation in this case.”

In reply, the SL foreign ministry said,”After going through the initial investigations it had been indicated that SL Navy is not involved in this matter. Irrespective of the parties involved, if any such shootout has happened then it is a grave concern and all possible actions will be taken in cooperation with the relevant Indian authorities.”

President of Rameswaram Fishermen Association, P Sesuraja told PTI,  around 2000 fisherman were fishing within Indian waters when navy officials from Sri Lanka arrived at the spot. He alleged that not even a warning shot was fired by those the Sri Lankan official.

This shootout has initiated several protests in Tamil Nadu while the chief minister of the state, E Palaniswami has condemned this incident and have announced a compensation of Rs 5 Lakh to the departed fisherman’s family.