In an unfortunate incident, six people were charred to death after a massive fire broke out in an air-cooler in an industrial unit in Attapur area of Hyderabad on February 22. The incident took place at around 5 am when most of the labourers were catching up on their sleep when a fire broke out in the Avon cooler godown.

At least four fire tenders rushed to spot to douse the raging flames and recovered burnt bodies from the accident spot. Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) of Rajendernagar asserted that they were registering a case and will investigate the matter further. All of the six deceased reportedly hailed from Odisha. Two of the bodies have not been identified as yet. The fire has been contained and all the bodies have been sent for a post-mortem.

Initial reports suggest that the cause of the fire was a short-circuit in the cooler. Several media report suggest that the workers who were under the shed of the cooler could not easily get out of the spot because they might have possibly shut the door from inside. It was the neighbours who noticed flames from the small industrial unit and alerted the police.

However, the exact number of workers present in the building has not been ascertained as yet. The police officials have launched a search operation and are looking for any possible bodies trapped under the debris.

The police officials have taken the owner of the industrial unit into custody and have been questing him and are also making efforts to identify the exact cause of the fire.