Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who on April 19 announced the decision of putting an end to the use of red beacon card for VVIPs, asserted that every Indian was VIP and that the practice should have gone long ago. This came after Union Minister Nitin Gadkari announced that the central government was banning “lal batti” cars.

Responding to numerous tweets bu netizens who hailed Prime Minister’s move, PM Modi said that he was glad that a strong beginning had been made with the decision.  A number of ministers were quick to remove the red beacons from their cars soon after te decision was made.

“In a historic decision, the Cabinet has decided that beacon lights will be removed from all vehicles, barring emergency services vehicles, from May 1. Only emergency services will have red beacon, I have also removed it from my car today. No dignitary, state or central, will use red light. There will be no exceptions,” Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari said while addressing a press conference. He also went on to remove the red beacon light from his car becoming the one of the first ministers to do so.

Twitterati lauded the government’s initiative and asserted that it was a “blockbuster move”. This particular move is being seen as the Narendra Modi government’s crackdown on the VIP culture.