Delhi High Court has transferred the probe into the disappearance of  Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Najeeb Ahmed to the Central Bureau of Investigation with immediate effect. Ahmed has been missing for over six months now and the Delhi Police was yet to make any breakthrough in the case.

Earlier on Monday, Delhi Police said it had filed a chargesheet against a man arrested for allegedly demanding ransom from Najeeb’s family. The chargesheet claims that the 20-year-old accused Shamim had demanded Rs. 20 lakh for his release and made the ransom call to Najeeb’s relative to release him.

The Delhi Police investigators had earlier approached mosques in the national capital and the neighbouring states seeking any clue of Najeeb Ahmad’s whereabouts. The police had requested Imam of Fatehpuri Masjid in Chandni Chowk to make announcements on Najeeb Ahmad during prayers.  

The Delhi High Court had also earlier hit out at the police department for the way in which it has been probing the case of the missing 28-year-old JNU scholar. The High Court had said that it seemed that the agency is looking for an “escape route” and is “beating around the bush”. Despite several look-out orders, there has been no trace of Najeeb who has been missing since the intervening night of October 14-15.

The Court had said that the conduct of the police showed it was trying to sensationalise the matter or looking for a way out as it was filing reports in sealed covers and “there was nothing confidential, damaging or crucial” in them.